16 June 2011

first run in Sitka

Having lived in Sitka for nearly a year, I went on my first run today. I'll be recording my future runs in this blog, so sorry if you don't want to read about this. There'll still be the same lack of posting on other subjects as before.

It occurred to me that my wife's references to my growing belly might be subtle hints that I could make myself more attractive to her. Combine that with a wedding coming up in a few weeks where I'll see my family and be sure to hear from my mother about how out of shape I am as well as a desire to not feel like a fat bastard, and here we are.

Turns out, Sitka is a great place to run. Beautiful scenery, clean sea air with enough humidity to not dry me out, and temperatures that feel great. I need to scope out the best places and times to run on trails without fear of bears, though, so that I can really get the best of it all (and not destroy my feet in my Vibrams).

First run: 9:30ish at night, just in time for the sun to start dipping, 27:40 and an as-yet-unknown number of miles. I'm guessing it was about 3, because I'm out of shape.

No comments: