08 May 2014

The last glimpse of the child

During the graduation exercises here, there is a moment in which students leave the stage to give roses to family members. When I first came here, I didn't love this portion of the ceremony, but it's now my absolute favorite part.

These young people are learning to look, talk, and act like adults. They stand on stage and are admonished to go into the world and do great things as adults. They take care of themselves and those around them like adults.

Then they go out into the audience and hug Mom or Grandma or Uncle and the baby is back. For possibly the last time in their lives, the child returns for one brief moment in the embrace of that valued loved one. That moment is sheer magic, and I look forward to and dread that moment with my own children.

No comments: