09 January 2011

overhaul needed

Though I am in Alaska now, recent events indicate to me that an overhaul of Arizona's usage of sheriffs is desperately needed. Between Joe Arpaio going off on one-man crusades against whatever he hates at the moment and Clarence Dupnik shooting his mouth off to the press and editorializing in the middle of the biggest crisis to hit Tucson in decades, these men are irresponsible and dangerous without oversight. I don't trust the people leading the state much, but there needs to be someone (or committee) in a position to censure or otherwise restrict these sheriffs. Having them only responsible to the electorate every couple of years doesn't seem to be working.

2 comments:

Gordon said...

I couldn't disagree more.

I don't think this is a fair comparison. Did you watch the press conference or just read the transcript? Because in context Dupnik came across as very professional, organized, and dignified. If I remember correctly that comment came at the end of the conference when, it seems to me, the events had taken an emotional toll on everyone. I say that because shortly after that they had Richard Carmona talking about the medical aspects, and he got all choked up about it -- something that, if you know his background, just doesn't happen.

Dupnik has served as Pima County Sheriff for a long, long time and has done a great job. He's been professional and nonpartisan and runs a tight ship. I don't think it's fair to compare him with Sheriff Joe.

Finally, I agreed with what he said. The level of vitriol in Arizona right now (he did not blame anyone in particular) IS, IMHO, a big problem. A very big problem. It encourages people to dehumanize each other, to forget that there's a person behind the "enemy". For those who are unbalanced I do think it's enough to put them over the edge, and it needs to stop. I thought his comment was pretty mild really.

Stephen said...

I'll own up - I just read the transcript, so I may have missed some nuance. I agreed with Dupnik personally, but I mind more that he was talking without substantiation. It seemed that he was speculating as to motive at a time when the last thing he should have been doing was sharing his speculation with the media.

I agree that Arizona's discourse has gotten out of hand and I agree that he's not at ALL on the same level as Arpaio, but it bothers me that there is no oversight given to sheriffs, especially considering the amount of power that they are capable of wielding in a place like Arizona.